The National Electrical Contractors Association is the national trade association for electrical contracting firms. United for industry-wide action, the NECA has been the traditional champion of the electrical contracting industry since 1901.
The national headquarters, founded in Buffalo, New York, now resides in Bethesda, Maryland. Throughout the country there are four regional offices who oversee 119 local chapters across 10 districts.
The purpose of any trade association generally involves some form of public relations. For the National Electrical Contractors Association this includes advertising, community engagement and philanthropy, political donations and lobbying, education, and various publications.
Specific to the trade, the NECA and its subordinate foundations produce conferences and conventions to encourage collaboration between members. Some meetings are specific to district or region. The largest convention and annual trade show includes members and vendors from all over the country. Other conference topics include safety, industry research, college chapters, women & minorities, legislative initiatives, and labor relations.
Labor relations is one of the most important facets of the NECA. One of the most distinguishing attributes of the National Electrical Contractors Association is its relationship with the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers. While most trade associations operate separate of any other entity, the NECA embraces its relationship with the Electrical Workers Union. While both organizations have impressive histories individually, it has been this collaboration that sets the two apart from their respective counterparts among the construction trades.
Locally, the Northern Indiana Chapter of the National Electrical Contractors Association works alongside three Local IBEW Unions. The jurisdiction spans 11 counties in northwest and northcentral Indiana (Lake, Newton, Porter, Jasper, La Porte, Starke, Pulaski, Saint Joseph, Marshall, Elkhart, Kosciusko) as well as two in southwest Michigan (Berrien & Cass).
Chartered on November 30, 1944, the office has called four different addresses home. Initially located in Hammond, the first office was located at 6445-1/2 Kennedy Avenue. On July 15, 1968 the office relocated to 6919 Indianapolis Boulevard; still in Hammond. In September of 1984, in an effort to centralize its location, the Chapter moved a second time to the 7th floor of the Marquette Mall Office Building; at 450 St. John Road in Michigan City. Ground was broken for the current location at 105 Woodland Court in Michigan City on September 22, 1989. Upon completion, the official move-in date was February 5, 1990.